Big companies generally have a security monitoring system in place, but what about small businesses? The smaller businesses are actually becoming a main target for network intrusions because hackers realize that most smaller businesses do not implement professional computer security. Many businesses assume that network security is only important for big companies like financial institutions and government agencies. In addition, many either worry about the cost or don't think they really need it. The fact is, it is becoming critical for ALL business owners to implement a security monitoring system and it doesn't cost a lot if you choose the right one.
What is Security Monitoring?
The internal network is also known as a Local Area Network (LAN) and monitoring includes software, hardware, viruses, spyware, vulnerabilities (such as back doors and security holes), and other aspects that can compromise the computer network.A security monitoring system will help prevent and automatically detect and respond to all of these types of issues. Maintaining the integrity of an internal network is accomplished by a security monitoring system that includes all of the following:
- Intrusion Detection monitors local area networks for unauthorized access by hackers. Intrusion detection can be implemented manually; however, we strongly recommend that businesses use a program that automatically detects viruses, malware, and network vulnerabilities (like back doors, logic bombs and other security threats). Intrusion detection programs generate reports following a system check so any issues can be addressed, i.e., removed as soon as possible.
- Scanning for Vulnerability is important to do periodically because it looks over your network for weaknesses (such as miscellaneous USB devices plugged in on workstations, inactive login accounts) that open up the potential for an exploit. Vulnerability scanning is different from intrusion detection because it finds potential problems so that you can fix them before hackers can attack your system.
- Firewall Monitoring ensures your firewall is working properly. The firewall is your first defense against hackers entering your computer network. It screens the connections made between computers in your network to the outside Internet. When your computer on the inside requests information from outside, the firewall makes sure that the source of information coming back to your computer matches the request your computer made going out.
- Penetration Testing is done by using methods that hackers use to breach a network. This kind of testing takes network security to the next level by discovering vulnerabilities that hackers may have knowledge of but have not yet been detected.
- Packet Sniffing uses programs that examine bits and bytes of information as it passes through your network. Its purpose is to detect unauthorized network monitoring software that is often installed by hackers for gathering information, spying on business transactions and other activities.
See also: How to Keep Your Business Website Secure
Security Monitoring is Important for Your Business
If you are an owner of a business, even if it is small, you should consider network monitoring as an essential part of your data security strategy. Computer security monitoring is an essential responsibility for businesses of all sizes. As you can see, there is a lot involved with keeping a local area network secure that can result in increased network maintenance costs. However, there is a better solution by using a network monitoring system that will oversee the important computer security aspects of your underlying infrastructure. The benefit is that your computers will work the way they are supposed to. If your network isn't bogged down with malware, your files will open without unnecessary delay, and your uploads and downloads will take less time!
By using security monitoring, you can help prevent the following:
- Slow operating system
- Abnormal hard drive activity
- Running out of hard drive space
- New toolbars and pages that you did not install
- Unusual messages and functioning
- Disabled security solution - this makes it hard to recover from being infected that's why it is critical to get professional security monitoring.
Written By Kevin Gray
Hello! I am the Sales Manager and one of the Senior IT Consultants @ EnvisionIT Solutions. I help our clients envision great technology solutions that help their businesses grow. Let me know if you have any questions. I am an avid outdoorsman who loves fly fishing and camping. I also love sports – soccer, basketball, football….